Monday, 28 January 2013

Commitment?

Definition of commitment

noun

  • 1 [mass noun] the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause, activity, etc.: the company’s commitment to quality I could not fault my players for commitment
  • [count noun] a pledge or undertaking: I cannot make such a commitment at the moment

  • 2 an engagement or obligation that restricts freedom of action: with so many business commitments time for recreation was limited
 
I've been thinking a lot about commitment these last few weeks. Questions are being asked of me. Can you commit?  Are you ready to prepare for Shodan? Do you want to commit?Can you give 100%?
 
That last one is what's giving me pause for thought. 100%? 100% of what?
 
In terms of karate training the days of karateka devoting 100% of their time to training are long gone it would seem. Bygone days when students would live in the house of their Sensei - sweep his floors, tend his garden, mend his fence as part of their karate study are distant memories from another era.
 
This is karate for the modern age, and unfortunately for the vast majority of us (Western karateka for sure) the modern age means the (in)conveniences of modern life.
 
We have families. We work. We clean house. We have responsibilities and roles that need to be filled.
 
So where does that leave us? Given the 168 hours in a week my time (as a quick assessment) looks like this:
 
 
Now this doesn't include the time I spend dealing with staff who look after by brother (HR issues, wages, HMRC stuff) or the time I spend doing stuff for my Dad.
 
Hmmmm. Interesting. I spend a lot of time sleeping (trust me when I tell you that me with less than 8 hours sleep isn't healthy for anyone!) and a lot of time working. The kids and the house taking up a large chunk there too. For karate though.... I spend about 6.75 hours a week in the dojo (that's split over Monday and Friday and includes travel time).
 
When we talk about 100% it can't be in terms of time. 95.98% of my time is already taken up with things that are necessary for the smooth running of our family existence. So what does that leave? Is it effort we're talking about? Is it enough to give 100% effort in the 6.75 hours (the 4.02%) of time I'm in the dojo? Well, that's good, but it's probably not enough.
 
If I'm going to commit. To enter "the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause, activity". To "pledge or undertake" the next step on my journey to shodan. Then I'm going to have to find some % from somewhere. Some of that time allocated from other things is going to have to be turned over to time focused on karate. But where do you steal the time from? What is less important? What can be allowed to slide? Am I willing to let anything go? How badly do I want it? Do I have it in me?......now? or ever?
 
Am I ready to commit?
 
A more complicated question that one might think.
 
TTFN
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marie, it's difficult isn't it? You are clearly very busy with a lot of responsibilities so finding chunks of time will be nearly impossible. The other way to do it is to integrate karate training into your general life in small chunks of time - a sort of little but often approach. This requires you to be disciplined and to keep your thoughts on karate most of the time. I find cooking a good time to do some karate training - waiting for that kettle to boil or those onions to saute? Time to do a kata or walk through a bunkai application. Getting dressed in the morning - do 2 minutes of kihon in front of the mirror. Get some fitness training in by always using stairs where ever you are etc. Have a list of the few things you want to cover over the course of the day and discipline yourself to do them all. You'll be surprised how much you can cover over a week. Giving 100% includes giving 100% to self-discipline - remember the only real battle in karate is the one you have with yourself. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete