Wednesday, 4 May 2011

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick.

A kid in a sweet shop. A pig in poop. A chocoholic in a Cadburys factory.


I'm as excited as all those things. I'm excited because very very soon (in 11 days time in fact, not that I'm counting or anything) my karate existance is about to expand.... to include on of these:







Yup. That's a big ol' Bo staff. I'm about to be let loose wielding a 6ft pole. I'm not sure if the world is quite ready for that, but I am :)



Shihan has decided to begin Kobudo training (well, technically it will be Kobujutsu, in the same way that our karate is karate jutsu, as it will be something of an amalgamation of styles). I've been looking forward to starting training with weapons but was expecting to have to wait a lot longer, and then to only get a few seminars in. As it is there'll be a full grading syllabus with a variety of weapons.



Did I mention I'm excited?



Bo staff is the weapon we're set to begin with and the Bo section will run for 3 months. The weapons are split into "types" so following on from Bo there'll be training with Jo Staffs then Tonfa (for the "sticks Section"). Later on there'll be training in Sai, Nunchuku, Kamas, Sword (fighting training and Iaido) and later on from that (at Shodan level) some scary looking things including a nine section whip (yowser)and a Naginata (ouch).



Weapons training opens up a whole new level of martial arts theory and practice and I can't wait to get my teeth into it. We've got Bo Staffs on order and I'm mulling over making a nice carry case (any excuse to get the sewing machine out). Roll on 15th May I say :) Can't wait.



TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm excited for you, kobudo's great fun. Expect to get even more bruises though - it's painful stuff!

    ReplyDelete