Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Take Control(s).

You've heard the saying "be careful what you wish for"?



Well, I wished for opportunity to practice my controls and escapes and blimey if I didn't get that in spades at training last night.



As Shihan and Sensei are going away on holiday for a couple of weeks (leaving another of our Sensei's ((is that the plural or is it just Sensei?? Hmmmm. I'll have to double check that) to take the classes) Shihan decided to throw something a little different into the mix this week. Ordinarily we don't work much control and escape work in the Monday class so it was interesting to see how people got along with it.



We worked wrist controls, shoulder controls and arm bars from blocking (inside and outside) into controls and also worked some escapes (from strangles, head locks etc). I usually end up partnering with Louise (my fellow green belt) or Sensei Helen for these kinds of techniques (we're similar sizes and builds) but last night I ended up partnered up with Jon (blue belt). He really is an amazing karateka. He knows his stuff really well and excutes all his techniques to a really high standard. I really do like working with him because he doesn't go too lightly on you. Always put the controls on properly and tells you if you haven't got the control in place properly on him. He also doesn't move unless you move him (which makes for much more realistic (as realistic as it can be in the dojo setting) practice.



The only downside to working with Jon? He's so damn bony!! Doing blocks and punches with him has left me with a delightful array of forearm bruises this morning. See:









Jon, if you're reading this, you're gonna have to put some meat on those arms dude, seriously, you're killing me! LOL.


I really tried to concentrate on getting the controls and locks on well which I've been guilty of not doing way too much. The best part was working random punches so you don't know which side to work until you actually implement the block. It's great for working your muscle memory - you just have to deal with what you get. The block itself is becoming instinctive now..... hopefully the follow through will start to become second nature too. I'm going to have to line that hubby of mine up for some practice. Thankfully that's one of the things we can practice easily at home.

Sadly the time went so fast (when you're having fun?) last night that we didn't even get chance for kata practice or kumite so I'll have to make sure I work on my kata at home in the week.

Kendo and I have both started back on a 12 week training programme (fat loss and muscle building) this week. Last time we did this (starting in February) I managed to shed 2 stone (28lbs) and I still have some more to lose so hopefully I can start shifting my baby belly (can't really blame that on Ewan any more being that he's almost 4 now!!). Back in the gym tonight for the first weights day of my 3 day split (chest, triceps and abs) and tomorrow I'm thinking of taking a yoga class at the gym. I really need to improve my flexibility, particularly my hamstrings. My recurrent back problems have left me with shortened hamstrings and problems with my pelvis in my pregnancies mean I'm not as flexible as I'd like to be. I'm hoping the yoga will help me work on that some.

TTFN

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like it was a great class! I can commiserate with you on the bruises, as we have some really bony people in my dojo, as well. Even when the blocks and strikes are executed perfectly, it still feels like bashing my arm against a rock! Hahaha...

    As for baby belly, there are a couple of things you might try:

    1. Eating six small meals each day. This will ramp your metabolism into overdrive. Three regular meals (a good breakfast of protein and good carbs), a protein shake three hours after breakfast and three hours before lunch, a light lunch of protein and good carbs, then three hours after lunch and three hours before supper, another protein shake, and then another, three hours after dinner.

    2. See a chiropractor and see if maybe your pelvis or spine is out of alignment, and see if you can begin a wellness programme, where you go once or twice a month to get adjusted and keep things in good shape.

    3. Build a "free day" into each week, where you can eat anything you want, as much as you want. It will reduce your stress, and the body will realize that it's not under siege, so it will more readily release fat stores.

    4. Water, water, water.... Remaining well hydrated is so important to losing fat. It's one of the most underrated things.

    You mentioned a 12-week programme. Is this the Body For Life programme? It's a good one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, I am the boney person! And I bruise even if you just look at me with intent.LOL. I currently have a massive bruise on the inside of my thigh, just above the knee - the result of my husband practising a leg throw on me with a tanbo. The things we do for fun!:-)

    ReplyDelete